What you repeatedly hear you will eventually believe.
Here’s a refill; sit and think with me . . .
7 Reasons To Be Listening To God’s Word – The Bible
- The Word of God is Truth. God doesn’t twist or spin the truth. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- God’s Word supplies faith. Faith comes by hearing the Word. (Romans 10:17)
- God’s Word cleanses and changes your thinking. (Psalm 119:9)
- God’s Word gives you stability of thought. (Proverbs 3:2)
- God’s Word gives you direction. (Psalm 37:31)
- God’s Word warns and prompts about what’s coming. (Psalm 19:11)
- God’s Word helps when you’re stressing out. (Psalm 119:49, 50)
You are what you repeatedly do, right? The way to be thinking good thoughts and doing good things in this life is to consistently be putting good, positive, worthy things in your mind. After all, your poor brain is lambasted 24/7 with everybody yelling everything at you from everywhere. (hint: the earbuds are not our friend. Just sayin’.)
Check this out: you are NOT obligated to listen to all or even most of it. You decide what you hear. We all do. Choose wisely what you allow in your mind.
Reading devotionals is fine. There are plenty of good ones out there. Here’s the deal: people wrote those devotionals, and they did so after reading The Bible. They may or may not have gotten from each Scripture passage what you would, because they’re not you. They, too, can be stressed or overwrought. They can even have reasons for emphasizing one thing and leaving another alone. There could be many reasons why the devotional writer might not deliver the entire truth in a passage.
So why not do your own reading in the Bible? Make your own notes, receive the truth in what you’re reading as it applies to you for that day, that time in your life. Enjoy good devotionals. Live in what God has to say directly to you.
Remember: God isn’t a man, and He doesn’t lie. Want truth? Stay in the Word.
You may not like it, but you’ll always get The Truth.
— adapted from FiveStarMan devotional for this date.
© D. Dean Boone, June 2017