Coffee. Yeah, it ought to be first. It wasn’t on the list, though. Anyway, grab a refill and walk with me . . .
You’ve been down. Life’s stepped on your groove, saddened your spirit. Here’s how to climb back up in that cockpit. Saddle. Seat of a hot Mustang. You get the drift.
Today I will . . .
- Be thankful for this beautiful day.
- Understand that I’m a whole human being, not a statistic.
- Live with passion, give with kindness, and love as completely as I’m able.
- Find peace, strength and renewal in the things that bring me joy.
- Express how I feel with honesty.
- Listen to what my body’s telling me.
- Rest when I’m tired.
- Refuel when I’m hungry.
- Know that I’m exactly where I need to be on my journey.
Hey. I get it. The day itself might be crummy. You might feel as if you’re just a box to be checked off on someone else’s list. All your available passion, giving and loving may have been Hoovered right out of you, until the stuff that brings you joy is nowhere to be found, and you wouldn’t have the juice to enjoy it if you did find it.
It takes someone willing to listen for you to be honest, right? It’s tough to dig what your body’s telling you when the copay’s through the roof. Rest? H-yeah, right. What if the only fuel sounding good right now is massive chocolate? And the journey deal? You feel like you’re so far in the brush you think you met David Livingston’s great-great-grandson.
Here’s the deal. All nine of those things hinge on your attitude. The day might be rainy and ugly, but your attitude can be beautiful. It’s all in how you see things and people – and how you approach both.
Want your groove back? Find it deep inside you, then let it find its way out.
Never know. You might help the guy at the next table find his.
-Groot, Guardians of the Galaxy, dapsmagic.com
© D. Dean Boone, May 2017